An important part of Mandarin fluency is parents making an effort to include Chinese outside of school. Some ideas for getting more Chinese in your child’s life:
- Keeping Chinese books in your home. See our Bookstores page for places to buy Chinese and bilingual books.
- Chinese comic books, called mànhuàshū. See our Bookstores page.
- Seek out Chinese speakers in our community. See our events page for upcoming events.
- Attend Chinese cultural events. See our events page for upcoming cultural events.
- Go to Asian supermarkets such as 99 Ranch in Anaheim, Irvine Culver, or Irvine Walnut.
- Hire a Mandarin-speaking babysitter or nanny.
- Listen to Chinese children’s songs on CD. See our Bookstores page for vendors.
- Seek out Chinese radio and television stations.
- Watch Chinese movies. See our Bookstores page for DVDs.
- Online stories, songs, and games.
- Play Chinese apps on tablets and phones.
- Watch online Chinese videos.
- Plan playdates with other MIP families!
Ideas taken from A Parent’s Guide to Mandarin Immersion by Elizabeth Weise.